What You'll do in this tour
Now is your time to embrace the Tuscany that has been luring travellers to bask in its beauty for centuries. We depart from your hotel in Florence, in a comfortable new model air-conditioned van heading into the Chianti hills where we can enjoy a majestic, 360-degree view of the surrounding hills and valleys.
Depending on your tastes and budget your driver guide will take you to the best-hidden, local establishments for a typical lunch or you may choose to have a light lunch paired with a wine and olive oil tasting. You’ll get a chance to sample various red wines where the wine is made the “old-fashioned way” in a family-run vineyard. Traditional cold cuts, cheeses and bread with an olive oil sampling can accompany this fantastic local wine that you will not find in stores at home. We will also arrange a private tour of the wine cellar just for you.
After this tasty pause our outing continues in both Siena & San Gimignano.
Siena is an ancient city with Etruscan roots starting 500 to 900 years before the birth of Christ. Much of this hill town has remained unchanged for centuries and you can become part of an atmosphere that cannot be found elsewhere. There are numerous sites not to be missed including Piazza del Campo where the famous horse race, the “Palio”, takes place twice a year. Enjoy the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, one of the most beautiful in Italy, which is the creation of many centuries of different artists. You will see works by the greats such as Pinturrichio, Raphael, Bernini and Donatello. For the adventurous traveler, you may choose to climb the tower, Torre del Mangia, for panoramic views of the city and countryside.
San Gimignano is famous around the world for it`s more that 17 medieval towers abutting the 13th century pilgrim routes from Northern Europe to Rome. Dante was a noted visitor in 1300 and it is here at the main gate where you will have time to explore on your own. Here you will find the most beautiful of all of the Piazza`s in San Gimignano, the Piazza della Cisterna, the famous well in the center of the square that dates back to the 13th Century. You may wish to spend some time exploring and shopping in this charming town you are sure to fall in love with or you may choose to visit other sites such as the Chiesa Collegiata. This is the Duomo of San Gimignano and it dates from the 12th Century.
Additional Information for Wine tasting & luncheon option at Vineyard:
- Lunch (Antipasto, first course, main course, dessert, wine/water) + Wine tasting of 4/5 wines - 40.00 Euros per person
- Wine tasting of 3 wines + snacks - 15.00 Euros per person
- Wine tasting of 3 wines - 10.00 Euros per person
- Available on Monday-Saturday with similar option on Sundays.
*Each price listed above also includes the tour of the wine cellar with history of the local vineyard being visited.
Additional Information to Note:
- This tour starts from your centrally located Florence area hotel. If you will be arriving by train and without luggage, we can also arrange to meet you at your arrival train platform into SMN station.
- If you are staying somewhere other than Florence be sure to let us know so that we can arrange your day appropriately.
- This day trip begins at 8am and you are back to your hotel in Florence by 6pm.
- Maximum capacity of up to 7 people in your immediate group. 8 people may be possible with advance notice. Please ask for pricing.
- Approximate tour time is 10 hours and additional time can be added at an hourly rate. Please talk to your driver guide to be sure that it is possible and ask us for pricing.
- Should you want to see only Siena OR San Gimignano you would want the 8-hour day trip instead. Let us know if you prefer the 8hr day and which city you plan to visit so that we can arrange the day appropriately or select the combination you prefer from our listed tours.
- Admission fees, lunches, wine tastings, and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
- Please let us know in advance how many would like the optional wine tasting and and if you would like to pair it with snacks or lunch so that we can arrange this for you ahead of time.