What You'll do in this tour
Michelangelo, Donatello, Giotto, Dante, Boccaccio are just some of the many famous people to come from or live in the city of Florence. Called the Athens of the Middles Ages, Florence was founded by Julius Caeser in 59 B.C. This type of tour is perfect for people who want to get an overview of the history and art and experience the flavor of Florence on foot but then relax and enjoy the countryside surrounding Florence in the afternoon.
You will start out on foot at 9am from the lobby of your centrally located hotel with our walking guide for a fantastic 3-hour tour of the city highlights including a stop to see Michelangelo's David at the Accademia. If you have never been to Florence before this is a great way to experience the major historical and artistic sites of the city. Our tour focuses on some of the most important artistic masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s David, the Cathedral and Dome of Brunelleschi, the beautiful Signoria Square, the Ponte Vecchio and the leather market. An ethereal visit to the Santa Croce church will allow you to see the tombs of some of the most illustrious citizens of Florence such as Michelangelo Buonarroti, Niccolo Macchiavelli, Galileo Galilei, Donatello and Giotto. We can break up the touring with a quick coffee or gelato break if you like. Time will not be sufficient to tour inside of the Uffizi Gallery unless you only visit that particular museum with the guide and not the city sites or Accademia. Please let us know if your primary intention is to see the Uffizi.
By noon we will arrange for our driver escort to pick you up in a comfortable late model air-conditioned van and head through the countryside to Pisa. Depending on your tastes and budget your driver guide will take you to a well-hidden, local establishment for a typical lunch. He will also give you some general information about Pisa and what you will be seeing as well as free time to explore the main square of Pias, the Piazza dei Miracoli, where you can admire the city`s Romanesque architecture of the Cathedral, Baptistery and the Leaning Bell Tower. These buildings laid out on the sprawling green lawns are the most beautiful and important examples of Tuscan Romanesque architecture in all of the history of art. You will be back at your hotel by 5 pm.
Length of the tour is 8 hours and this type of tour includes a walking guide in the morning (leave from your hotel or meeting point on foot) and then you will have a van with driver guide in the afternoon. Your driver guide will drop you off at your hotel following the tour.
Additional Information to Note:
- This tour starts from your centrally located Florence area hotel or alternate meeting point if located out of the center (In front of Hotel Savoy at Piazza della Repubblica, 7, 50123 Firenze). If you will be arriving by train and without luggage, we can also arrange to meet you at your arrival train platform into SMN station.
- We may opt to reverse the order of this day depending on the day of the week you are booking etc to make the best usage of your time.
- Maximum capacity of up to 7 people in your immediate group. 8 people may be possible with advance notice. Please ask for pricing.
- Approximate tour time is 8 hours and additional time can be added at an hourly rate. Please talk to your driver guide to be sure that it is possible and ask us for pricing.
- Because you have chosen the option that includes a walking tour it will be assumed that you will want to see the David at the Accademia and so we will automatically make a reservation for you.
- Please note that the museums are closed on Mondays and the Duomo is closed for the early part of the day on Sunday.
- If you want to climb the Leaning Tower, the tickets must be arranged by you about a month to three weeks before your tour date based on when dates are released. We are not able to make this particular reservation for you. The best time to schedule the climb up the tower on this day trip is generally 3pm. We will let you know if otherwise, please check with us if you are unsure or if we have told you that we will need to invert the order of the day.
- The link to purchase tickets is: http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/index.jsp
- Headsets, admission fees, lunches, wine tastings, and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
- Please note it is prohibited to bring backpacks, camping or other bulky bags or luggage / trollies into some museums. You are allowed to enter with medium and small size backpacks carried on a shoulder which must be checked by metal detectors and/or opened and visually inspected before entering.
Accademia Ticket Information:
- Miles&Miles will make a reservation for your tickets and they are to be paid upon entry.
- You will skip the general admission lines with this reservation, but you will still need to go through security upon entry and this cannot be skipped by anyone, for any reason. No
- Admission Prices:
- 16.50 Euros per adult 18+ (includes reservation fee)
- 4.00 Euros per youth 6-17 (only pay the reservation fee)
- Children 0-5 are free (reservation not needed, but we do ask that you let us know if there is anyone 5 and under)
- The cost of tickets is not included in the cost of the tour.
- The reservation fee of 4.00 Euros is non-refundable even if you do not enter the Accademia.