What You'll do in this tour
You want to see both the Colosseum and the Vatican on the same day because you don’t have much time in Rome, but you also don’t want to be walking for too long? Ok, we suggest you check out this tour where you will have a 90 minute tour of the Colosseum and a 3 hour walking tour of the Vatican.
On this tour you will start out with the visit of the Colosseum one of the 7 wonders in the world, it's a 90 minutes of 2000 years of history of this amazing structure created by the Flavius family in 80 AD and that still today is for the romans the symbol of their city. The visit includes the main level and the first level of the structure. After the conclusion of this first part of the tour will move to the next site with your guide, by taxi or other means of transportation (not included in the price), for the second part of the tour that consist of the visit of the largest museum complex of the world "The Vatican Museum". The museums consists of 1,400 rooms, spanning 4 miles, filled with more than 70,000 works of art and 20,000 visitors every day - these are just some of the statistics of one of the major attractions in the world’s smallest sovereign country. You will be with your walking guide at your side to create a peaceful, informative 3 hour tour of the Vatican sites which includes access to the Sistine Chapel, Museums and the Basilica.
This is a great option if you want to maximise your time and not have to be walking for so long. This tour only includes the Colosseo and its most important parts. The Vatican tour is a more in depth tour that takes 3 hours. We suggest you wear confortable walking shoes and are well rested from the night before, we can start at 8:45 on this tour. Keep in mind that transportation is not included in the price therefore you can choose to take a taxi or any other means of transportation from site to site.
At the end of the tour at the Vatican our guide will be happy to show you the closest taxi stand for your safe return to your hotel.
Additional Information To Note:
Admission tickets to any site, headsets, lunches and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour as shown when selecting the tour. However, we will add the cost for the Vatican & Colosseum tickets only when you select the tour and submit for availability. These will be included in the total cost of tour on your voucher as well. For now, ticket prices are referenced below for your convenience
- This tour does not include the Underground section of the Colosseum or the Vatican.
- This tour is not suggested for people with issues walking on uneven terrain, climbing stairs or who have other disabilities that require walkers or wheelchairs.
- Please wear sensible walking shoes for this tour and consider a hat for summer months and an umbrella for winter months.
- We have set a meeting point for this tour to make the best use of your time with the guide. Should you require an escort by taxi from the guide for any reason, as long as your hotel is central, we can send the guide to your hotel. Please do consider that we may have to eliminate something from the itinerary or add 30 minutes to the tour at an hourly rate which can be discussed if requesting to be escorted.
- As there is no transporation included with walking tours you will need to plan on finding transportation to and from your walking tour. Your hotel should be able to help you find a taxi to make your way to the meeting point to start your tour and then your walking guide will be more than happy to help you arrange for a taxi after the tour. The cost is usually around 12-15 Euros on average.
- As The Vatican is a holy place, there is a dress code that should be respected. Therefore, it is required that shoulders be covered and no short shorts or skirts are appropriate on the tour. It is best to have your knees covered, even for men.
- If someone in your party uses a wheelchair, please note that we can reserve one for you but they are only available for use through the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel you will only be able to complete those portions of this tour. When exiting the Chapel there are steps that lead to the entry of St. Peter’s Basilica where unfortunately, you will not be able to use the wheelchair rented from the Museum and you will need to return it to the starting point of the tour at this time. Wheelchairs are allowed inside the Basilica if you have brought your own and someone in your group can carry it down the steps so we suggest this option if a wheelchair is needed. Using a wheelchair will also mean the pace of the tour is slower so please be sure to notify the guide if you have a preference as to what the most important sites are that you wish to experience as you may have to shorten up other stops.
- Please note that it is prohibited to bring tri-pods, backpacks, camping or other bulky bags or luggage / trollies so please plan ahead. You are allowed to enter with medium and small size backpacks carried on a shoulder which must be checked by metal detectors and or opened and visually inspected by the Urbe Security Institute, responsible for the entrance inspection at the Colosseum.
- Please be prepared to show a photo ID (or photocopy) such as a passport, student ID or driver`s license upon entry at the Colosseo Museums as you may be asked for one. We will need to know the ages of each child on your tour when they qualify for reduced fare tickets.
Colosseum Ticket Information:
The Reservation of your tickets to enter the Colosseum is made based on a specific time of entrance that coincides with the starting time of your tour. Please see that you arrive at the time listed on your final voucher.
- Please be prepared to show a photo ID (or photocopy) such as a passport, student ID or driver`s license for each member of your group upon entry at the Colosseo Museums as you may be asked for one. We will need to know the ages of each child on your tour when they qualify for reduced fare tickets.
- Miles&Miles will pre purchase your Colosseum tickets, the cost of which is not included in the cost of the tour but you will find it included in the final voucher once your tour is confirmed. Please keep in mind that in 2015 there is a security line that you must still go through to insure the saftey of all and this cannot be skipped. Please be advised that you will still have to wait through the security line and this is not avoidable nor is it in our control. If you do not wish to enter the Colosseum, please let us know that in your email communication.
- Tickets and based on party size headsets when required will be reimbursed to the guide when paying for the tour.
- Headsets may be required at the Colosseum if your party size is more than 10 people or for particularly busy days. They are generally 1.50E per person
- This Ancient Rome walking tour or Colosseo admittance is not available on the first Sunday of any month due to the fact that this is a free day and tickets cannot be arranged in advance and the lines would be to long.
- Admission Prices:
- 32.00 Euros per adult 18+
- 10.00 Euros per youth 0-17
Vatican Ticket Information:
- Miles&Miles will pre purchase your Vatican tickets (on our account, not yours) so that you can skip the general line keeping in mind that it is obligatory to pass though the security screening line. This ticket includes entry to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. While St. Peter’s Basilica does not require a ticket, but having one for our guided tour is the only way to skip the line and enter directly.
- Tickets and based on party size headsets, will be reimbursed to the guide when paying for the tour.
- Admission Prices:
- 26.00 Euros per adult 19+
- 20.00 Euros per youth 6-18
- FREE for children 5 and under
- Headsets may be required if your party size is more than 5 people or for particularly busy days. They will vary in price from 1.50E per person to 3.00E per person depending on if you needed them for both the Vatican Museum and the Basilica, or just inside of the Basilica. We will organize this with the Vatican as we are obligated to use the headsets that they provide. Headsets are to amplify the guide’s voice; they are not a pre-recorded tour.
- Once purchased, tickets for the Vatican are Non-Refundable and Non-Exchangeable and need to be collected for regardless of possible changes to your travel plans as these are often purchased well in advance to secure your entry time.
We would like to mention the following: While Vatican City is the home of some major attractions such as the Vatican Musuems, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica, it is first and foremost the largest operational Christian church in the world. As a result, it can and will close any portion, at any time, with little or no notice or information provided to us especially around church holidays. If we receive notice of this happening for your date, we will attempt to notify you as soon as possible. We may not be able to make last minute changes once the tour is organized since our guides and tickets will have been aligned well in advance but our guide work with you to come to an agreeable solution and inform you of the options available. If this situation should occur for your tour date we will show you as much as possible based on what we have access to. 99% of the time everything goes exactly as planned and for that 1% we will do our best to adjust within the given circumstances. We realize that this may be less than ideal but unfortunately, we have no control of the Vatican’s schedule.
The Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel are closed on Sundays and the Basilica on Wednesday mornings. We do not offer tours to the Vatican on free days the last Sunday of the month when tickets are not available for purchase.