What You'll do in this tour
The Shore Excursion to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvio is full of archeological history with beautiful landscape views both from on the Mountain and looking up to it. The tours are led by expert English speaking drivers and local walking guides or Mt. Vesuvio park personel whom will help to create a personalised experience while taking into account your specific interests. These incredible services enable you to tour the city with a native Italian guide showing you the real face of the area you are visiting. The tours are available in English or Italian, and are delivered with an insight and style that keeps our tours entertaining, fun, and informative.
Naples, the city of Pizza and Tarantella! Your driver will be waiting for you, bearing a sign with your name, just on the other side of the tunnel after you've exited your ship. Together, you will head up the Vesuvio where you will be dropped off for your adventure to a park personnel for an approximate 90 minute walk higher up on the mountain.
Following your hike up we will take a break for lunch usually stopping in a small family restaurant for some authentic Italian food or authentic Neopolitan pizza and then continue on to Pompeii for 2 hour private walking tour of with a local walking guide at your side to see the effects of the Vesuvio's wrath on the region below. After your tours our driver will return you to your ship in plenty of time for your departure.
Pompeii 2 hour walking tour - Either in the AM before lunch or in the PM after lunch depending on coastal traffic
Pompeii used to be a resort town in the South of Naples, located on the western coast of Italy. Many wealthy Romans had "country homes" there. At it`s largest, Pompeii had a population of approximately 20,000 people.
On a fateful summer`s day in 79 AD, Mt Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash and lapilli (a small, lightweight pebbly material) over the village of Pompeii. Most of the locals fled the eruption but an estimated 2000 people did not and died from toxic gasses or were buried in the eruption along with the city. Lasting for almost a full day, Pompeii was buried under some 25 feet of volcanic material and this fascinating city was petrified and was condemned to remain as such.
While Pompeii remained in the local`s memories, as time passed it`s location was lost. Rediscovered in the 1700`s, excavation was started, but not until the mid 1800`s was there any meticulous recording of the discoveries. Amazingly preserved by the lapilli and ash, much information from Pompeii has been regained. Almost 2,000 years later, you have the opportunity to explore the preserved ruins of this famous disaster as you walk over ruts and paths hewn in the stone by thousands of feet and wagons from times gone by.
Additional Information To Note:
- This tour starts and ends at the port of Naples. If you will be arriving into a different port on the coast (Salerno or Sorrento), be sure to let us know because we will need to arrange your day appropriately. Additional hours may be added at an hourly rate in this case.
- The order of this day, may be reversed based on traffic or guide availability and will be decided by the driver & walking guide on the day of the tour.
- Please note that on weekends from May to October because of the increased traffic in the area, we may decide to have an earlier start to your tour and will notify you if so.
- Pompeii is open year round.
- You can also exchange Herculaneum for Pompeii if you'd like. Please let us know if you are interested in doing that so that we can arrange your day appropriately.
- Our driver will be happy to give you lunch time suggestions to suit your tastes and budget.
- Headsets if required based on party size, lunches and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
- Admission fee to Pompeii scavi and the entrance at the park for Mt. Vesuvio are not included in the cost of the day.
Mt. Vesuvio Admission Information:
- Reserved tickets are not required but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will be escorted by a park personnel up the mountain.
- At the park for Mt. Vesuvio plan on about 10 Euros per person for entry.
Pompeii Admission Information:
- Reserved tickets are not available but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will skip the general admission lines with our walking guide.
- Pompeii Admission Prices: New seasonal pricing applies
- 15.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under November through April
- 15.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under May through October
- The cost of admissions is not included in the cost of the tour.
Type and Length of Tour: 9 Hour Tour with a private van, driver, and walking guides
Traveling time from the Port of Naples to Pompeii:
- Approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic and day of the week.
Departure time from the port: 8:00am
Return to the port: Arrive to your ship around 5:00pm
*The order of this tour will be decided by the driver guide and may be reversed depending on the date of your tour.