What You'll do in this tour
The Day Trip to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvio is full of archeological history with the beautiful landscape both from on the Mountain and looking up to it. The tours are led by expert English speaking drivers and local walking guides or Mt. Vesuvio park personell whom will help to create a personalized experience while taking into account your specific interests. These incredible services enable you to tour the city with a native Italian guide showing you the real face of the city you are visiting. The tours are available in English or Italian, and are delivered with an insight and style that keeps our tours entertaining, fun, and informative.
Wake up!! You are in Naples, the city of Pizza and Tarantella. Your daytrip will start at 8:30 am from the your hotel lobby for a one to one meeting with our driver for the day. He will design your day with you depending of the location of your coastal area hotel (Naples, Sorrento or Amalfi Coast) and will be happy to give you all the best suggestions to enjoy your day in this incredible region. Together, you will head up the Vesuvio where you will be dropped off to a park personnel for an approximate 90 minute walk higher up on the mountain.
Following your hike up we will take a break for lunch usually stopping in a small family restaurant for some authentic Italian food or authentic Neopolitan pizza and then continue on to Pompeii for 2 hour private walking tour of with a local walking guide at your side to see the effects of the Vesuvio's wrath on the region below.
Pompeii 2 hour walking tour - Either in the AM before lunch or in the PM after lunch depending on coastal traffic
Pompeii used to be a resort town in the South of Naples, located on the western coast of Italy. Many wealthy Romans had "country homes" there. At it`s largest, Pompeii had a population of approximately 20,000 people.
On a fateful summer`s day in 79 AD, Mt Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash and lapilli (a small, lightweight pebbly material) over the village of Pompeii. Most of the locals fled the eruption but an estimated 2000 people did not and died from toxic gasses or were buried in the eruption along with the city. Lasting for almost a full day, Pompeii was buried under some 25 feet of volcanic material and this fascinating city was petrified and was condemned to remain as such.
While Pompeii remained in the local`s memories, as time passed it`s location was lost. Rediscovered in the 1700`s, excavation was started, but not until the mid 1800`s was there any meticulous recording of the discoveries. Amazingly preserved by the lapilli and ash, much information from Pompeii has been regained. Almost 2,000 years later, you have the opportunity to explore the preserved ruins of this famous disaster as you walk over ruts and paths hewn in the stone by thousands of feet and wagons from times gone by.
At the end of this adventure packed day, we will drive you back to your hotel and you will take with you, many wonderful memories of your day in this amazing part of Italy.
Choose this tour only if you are based in a local Naples area hotel. If you hotel is located farther away on the Amalfi coast we may need to lengthen the day and adjust for travel time. Additional hours can or may need to be added at an hourly rate.
Additional Information To Note:
- This tour starts and ends in your local hotel in the Naples area and a supplement may apply for additional travel time to begin and end in Positano, Amalfi or Ravello.
- The order of this day, may be reversed based on traffic or guide availability and will be decided by the driver & walking guide on the day of the tour.
- The approximate length of the day is 8 hours
- Please note that on weekends from May to October because of the increased traffic in the area, we may decide to have an earlier start to your tour and will notify you if so. In the winter, we may also opt for a later start time.
- Pompei is open year round.
- You can also exchange Herculaneum for Pompeii if you'd like. Please let us know if you are interested in doing that so that we can arrange your day appropriately.
- In case you just can`t get enough, you can add additional time at an hourly rate. Please ask for pricing in this case.
- Our driver will be happy to give you lunch time suggestions to suit your tastes and budget.
- Headsets if required based on party size, lunches and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
- Admission fee to Pompeii scavi and the entrance at the park for Mt. Vesuvio are not included in the cost of the day.
Mt. Vesuvio Admission Information:
- Reserved tickets are not required but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will be escorted by a park personnel up the mountain.
- At the park for Mt. Vesuvio plan on about 10 Euros per person for entry.
Pompeii Admission Information:
- Reserved tickets are not available but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will skip the general admission lines with our walking guide.
- Pompei Admission Prices: New seasonal pricing applies
- 11.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under November through April
- 13.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under May through October
- The cost of admissions is not included in the cost of the tour.