What You'll do in this tour
The Day Trip to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano on the Amalfi Coast combines an archeological area full of history with the beautiful landscape of the coast all in one day. The tours are led by expert English speaking drivers and local walking guides who will help to create a personalised experience while taking into account your specific interests. These incredible services enable you to tour the city with a native Italian guide showing you the real face of the city you are visiting. The tours are available in English or Italian, and are delivered with an insight and style that keeps our tours entertaining, fun, and informative.
The day starts at 8:30 am in your hotel lobby for a one to one meeting with our driver for the day whom will design your day with you depending of the location of your coastal area hotel (Naples, Sorrento or Amalfi Coast). He will be happy to give you all the best options to enjoy your day in this incredible region. We will be sure to arrange for a private 2 hour private walking tour of Pompeii with a local walking guide at your side.
Pompeii 2 hour walking tour - Either in the AM before lunch or in the PM after lunch depending on coastal traffic
Pompeii used to be a resort town in the South of Naples, located on the western coast of Italy. Many wealthy Romans had "country homes" there. At it`s largest, Pompeii had a population of approximately 20,000 people.
On a fateful summer`s day in 79 AD, Mt Vesuvius erupted, spewing volcanic ash and lapilli (a small, lightweight pebbly material) over the village of Pompeii. Most of the locals fled the eruption but an estimated 2000 people did not and died from toxic gasses or were buried in the eruption along with the city. Lasting for almost a full day, Pompeii was buried under some 25 feet of volcanic material and this fascinating city was petrified and was condemned to remain as such.
While Pompeii remained in the local`s memories, as time passed it`s location was lost. Rediscovered in the 1700`s, excavation was started, but not until the mid 1800`s was there any meticulous recording of the discoveries. Amazingly preserved by the lapilli and ash, much information from Pompeii has been regained. Almost 2,000 years later, you have the opportunity to explore the preserved ruins of this famous disaster as you walk over ruts and paths hewn in the stone by thousands of feet and wagons from times gone by.
Your day will also include a drive through the Sorrento bay and you can choose to spend some time in the downtown area of Sorrento or just drive over the bay and head on to have more time on to the Amalfi Coast. We wil be sure to stop for photos in places such as Seiano, Vico Equense as we head towards Positano, the village that was made famous by the movie “Under the Tuscan Sun”.
Sunshine, lemons, fresh fish, beautiful linens, clear blue seas and limoncello, are the first things that come to mind when describing this part of the country. The structure of Positano is very original; it`s buildings cling in tiers to the rock face. The small houses, all huddling on top of each other, so characteristic of Positano, form the subject of endless photos.
The vibrant colours; the white of the buildings, forming a perfect canvas for the bright flowers which decorate the houses, and the small artisans` shops with their multi-hued cloths, present the visitor with a vista which is almost difficult to believe. Then there is the smell of the leather used for making sandals, and the restaurants specialising in fish dishes, and the bustle of every day life...Positano and Sorrento are summer colours on an artist’s palette.
We usually make time for lunch on this stop so tell us if you prefer to have an amazing lunch "in the clouds" request La Tagliata* for the most incredible views of all of Positano and the coast below. Here you will taste a perfect sampling of the area`s cuisine, homemade from ingredients grown on site. But, if you prefer to eat down by the sea request lunch at the charming Chez Black* where you can try their house specialty, “Spaghetti al Riccio”, or other fresh seafood options. An exceptional dessert, not to be missed, is “La Delizia al Limone”. After lunch we’ll sample some of Chez Black’s homemade “Limoncello”, possibly the best that you’ll ever taste in your life. Time allowing, you can take in a little shopping in the village, walk down streets where cars are not allowed or take a stroll on the beach with its fantastic views of Positano’s cliffs and terraces.
This is where the Mediterranean comes into it’s full glory offering color, warmth and “joie de vivre”. At the end of the day, we will drive you back to your hotel arriving at about 4:30pm and you will take with you many wonderful memories of your day in this amazing part of Italy.
Additional Information To Note:
- This tour starts and ends in your local hotel in the Naples/Amalfi Coast area.
- The order of this day, may be reversed based on traffic or guide availability and will be decided by the driver & walking guide on the day of the tour.
- The approximate length of the day is 8 hours
- Please note that on weekends from May to October because of the increased traffic in the area, we may decide to have an earlier start to your tour and will notify you if so.
- Pompeii is open year round.
- You can also exchange Herculaneum for Pompeii if you'd like. Please let us know if you are interested in doing that so that we can arrange your day appropriately.
- In case you just can`t get enough, you can add additional time at an hourly rate. Please ask for pricing in this case.
- *Any mention of restaurants or dishes are pure suggestions and not included in the tour cost. Our driver will be happy to give you suggestions to suit your tastes and budget.
- Headsets if required based on party size, admissions, lunches and gratuities are not included in the price of the tour.
Pompeii Admission Information:
- Reserved tickets are not available but are to be paid upon entry.
- You will skip the general admission lines with our walking guide.
- Pompeii Admission Prices: New seasonal pricing applies
- 11.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under November through April
- 13.00 Euros per adult & Free for kids aged 17 & under May through October
- The cost of admissions is not included in the cost of the tour.